Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Housekeeping in Action

Believe it or not.. housekeeping is more exhausting than having 25 periods a week in school. Cleaning is one thing, to maintain is another thing... Here are things that i've learnt so far.

1. If you don't start folding.. it's gonna start piling
the next thing you know, you'll run out of empty basket and you will start hearing questions like "Ibu, mana track bottom nurul?", "ibu, brief haziq dah nak kosong".

2. Folding clothes can be relaxing
take it as an art.. see how neat can you be or how high you can go without the clothes falling or better still, start practising thinking something else while doing it.. ha ha ha... i realize that i hate folding clothes while watching tv especially when i'm watching martha stewart. I just have to concentrate on all the detail. So, i'll do it when my kids are around. So i can do it while they watch tv.

3. It does not take long to clean the bathroom if you do it regularly
i tried using bicarb soda paste to clean between the tiles. It gives a very clean and fresh look. I don't clean the bathroom as often as my maid (my maid does it twice weekly) but cleaning it after the thorough scrub was easy. Just use a cloth to scrub the sink and the tiles and another piece of cloth for the toilet. Then i brush the toilet bowl as well as the floor. Wala!

4. A clean kitchen has a clean floor
I learn this from my neighbour next door. She makes sure that she cleans the kitchen immediately including the stove and the spill immediately. My auntie always cleans the utensils she uses while she is still cooking. The effect - you don't have everything piling up in the sink when you finish cooking. I used to put everything everywhere because when Neng was still around, she'd clean up everything. 4 years having a maid really spoilt me. He he he... Anyway, once the kitchen floor is clean, it gives a very good effect...

5. Assign your chores according to days
When i first quit my job, life was hell. The chores were unbelievable. Luckily my husband understands me well. I hated house chores a.k.a malas. But i gave myself a try and i watched a lot of helpful tv program; perfect housewife, scrubber, how clean is your house etc. Some of the tricks are from my sister (who claims that her house is not clean enough! ya right! Try harder kaklong! show off!)

Trust me.. housekeeping takes more than common sense. I know some will disagree totally but it can be learnt and made into habits.

I learnt through the hard way. I'm not perfect still. My house is still messy but i'm improving. So, Monday is laundry and guest room cleaning day, tuesday is school uniform washing day and folding yesterday's laundry, wednesday is dusting, mopping ground floor kitchen scrubbing and ironing day, thursday is playroom cleaning (so that the playroom is clean and tidy for the kids during the weekend, and mopping day (1st floor), friday is my free day!!! I love friday!!

But then, i'm still flexible with myself. There are times that i get bored and feel like window shopping or swimming. I'll just do it. i don't think anyone should get stressed over house chores. You have to be happy and able to manage your stress. Appreciate yourself and give some time for yourself. Train your kids to appreciate you and appreciate your kids for appreciating you. I love it when my kids come home and go waa and wooo seeing the room being cleaned or the floor being mopped or even small things like a polished table..
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails