Sunday, June 21, 2009

Don't Take Your Loved Ones for Granted

We are lucky to be surrounded by our loved ones.. Our circle of family, friends and loved ones.. Sometimes they are just too close to us that we take them for granted..

I bake a lot of cakes for my friends, last weekend it was a three-tier-wedding-cake for a teacher friend who got married..

My son, Irfan, waited throughout the decorating process.. "cantiknya ibu!", he was tempted to eat the pink roses.. One of the roses was badly shaped.. and I gave it to him.. he was really delighted, "Sedapnya ibu, sedap sangat"...

I felt really bad. I gave him the one not fit enough to be on the cake and he loved it! Actually, I have another cake for the family.. but the buttercream was not enough for the deco.. and I still haven't made more buttercream to finish the decoration.

Most of the time when I'm baking, my kids would ask.. "Untuk siapa ni, ibu?", "Ada orang order ke?" Most of the time, when it's extra beautiful, it's not for them. [sigh].

We do tend to take our family for granted. What we forget is Allah can just take them anytime.. Let's make a pledge.. pay more attention to them no matter how small their wishes are.. Let them be a priority in our lives.. Sometimes, it's just little things like fixing the vcd player for their favourite movie, a tyre that needs fixing, a photo that needs printing or even a simple dish that they feel like eating..

It might be small or trivial for us.. but for them.. it may mean a lot..

Always in the newspaper, when there's news on death, the reporter would ask, is there anything that he didn't manage to get before he dies and we read a long list of things.. and never learn anything out of it..

I salute my dad on this.. He will take any favor asked from him as an obligation. I remember the trip to Sentul just for a lamb treat for my son. He didn't know there's never lamb served on Friday.. We had to come back the very next weekend. Whenever we come to his house, he will make sure the kids eat everything available in the fridge, be it fruits, cheese and he's even more generous with his favourite food. That's my dad..

I pray to Allah.. to see these little things big! To treat my loved ones the best as I could so that there will be no regrets when the time comes...
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Ya la...kita hanya hargai sesorang yg dah tiada. Tidak pernah menghargainya bila dia disamping....

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we regret it each time.. hoping we did better, kan kak wan?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails