Thursday, October 1, 2009

Baby Universal Language according to Priscilla Dunstan

Watching Oprah for half an hour the other day helps me dealing with my baby. Amazing as it sounds, it's even more amazing when you practice it in real life. According to Priscilla Dunstan, babies have been trying to communicate with us with the only means of communication they have.. crying.. and believe it, IT WORKS! Don't get too excited though, if you don't react to these cry.. the sound of cries will definitely change. Trust me...

I remember having my first newborn during one night when he really cried the whole night. We tried almost everything to make him stop not knowing what actually bothered him from changing the diapers, rocking him back and forth, passing him to my husband again and again, asking / whispering anxiously. The next day, I read up my baby book and found out that everything we did made him stressed even more. Despite the number of kids I have now, I have never knew about this and how I wish I knew sooner... but it might not be too late for you!



According to Priscilla (she has photographic hearing), there are 5 distinguished sounds baby make and these cries really work wonders in making mommies understand what their babies want. Here they are..

1. 'Neh' - I'm hungry.. feed me..

This sound is produced because of the sucking reflex baby has. When a baby sucks, he will put his tongue to the palate causing them to produce the 'neh' sound.

My Own Reflection:
I only heard this sound only once.. This is because, I notice that baby Muhammad makes this tiny soft squeek when he wants to feed and I quickly react to this immediately until one day I was too busy and quite far from him, I didn't realize until he cried the 'Neh' sound really loud I was shocked! he he..

2. 'Owh' - I'm sleepy..

I bet you can guess.. the fact that when baby gets sleepy, he yawns and tends to produce this cry.. This is because he cries with his lips shaped like an "o"..

My Own Reflection:
I never really heard this sound.. to be honest with you. I guess baby Muhammad feeds all the time and dozes off as he feeds.. So, he never really needs to tell me that..

3. 'Heh' - Change Me

This cry shows discomfort. Check his diapers or sometimes he's just cold..

My Own Reflection:
Baby Muhammad always make the 'heh' 'heh' 'heh' sound.. and if I don't change his diapers fast.. he'll start a very looonnggg 'hhheeeeeeehhhh' sound. When I hear this sound, I quickly check his diapers, it's either wet or filled with stool that makes him feel unconfortable. Baby Muhammad feeds totally on breastmilk, so he needs to be changed quite often as breastmilk is easily digested.

If the diaper is okay, I'll check his hands and feet if they are cold and I wrap him in a blanket (swaddle- bedung la tu)

4. 'Eh' - Burp me

This cry is from the baby trying to burp himself and it's normally higher pitched because it comes from the chest.. Just put him on your chest and try to burp him..

My Own Reflection:
I do notice that this sound is produced while he looks uncomfortable.. I notice that baby Muhammad tends to be more restless compared to when he makes the 'heh' sound. I normally pick him up quickly and try to put him on my shoulder.. and now I make a habit of burping him after every feeds.. I tend to hear this sound lesser and lesser when I do this..

5. 'Eairh' - Lower gas

This cry sounds like you trying to pass motion.. if you know what I mean..

My Own Reflection:
Baby Muhammad cries this sound together with the in-pain expression.. He'll just frown and his face will be reddish. He'll be squirming and kicking at the same time.. When I look at all these three things, I know exactly what to do.. I'll rub eucalyptus oil (minyak kayu putih) on his tummy.. pick him up, put him on my cheat and rub his back..

You might want to read Dunstan System pdf booklet to understand better..go to the link below.. and you can really hear the sound if you go to the youtube link.

http://www.dunstanbaby.com/cms/uploads/dunstan/ComprehensiveBooklet.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRQc2hOiKE
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails