Thursday, October 15, 2009

Good bye, My Friend.. You will be Remembered!


It was noon when I realized that I have one unread sms. After a couple of sleepless nights, it took me quite a while to comprehend.. A friend of mine when I was teaching in Setapak Indah passed away. I called some friends to find out what time was the funeral. Nobody answered the phone. I guess it was a bit too late..


Even if I knew earlier, I couldn't have gone there myself, with the baby and my other son around. I couldn't possibly drive with the baby and the car seat which has not been installed. When I finally received a friend's call about 45 mins later, they were on the way to the cemetery.


I could still remember seeing her for the first time during Monday school assembly. The students 'oohhed' her when the principal introduced. Right after the assembly, we greeted her, welcoming the new member of the English Panel. I asked her whether she knew why the students greeted that way.. She sheepishly shook her head.. I told her it was her groovy polaroid spectacles against the sun! "Ooohh".


I remember being with her at the library, talking my heart out about me quitting my job and complaints about the workload I received .. and I certainly remember how she was eager to plan the 'Info Hunt' for her librarians.. She was more than happy to help me during Scavenger Hunt at the hall. When I got my transfer, she gave me a 'Tiger's Eye' pendant.


Of course the thing that I remember most about her is the fact that she called herself "A Ticking Bomb". She had high blood pressure.. but what is most critical about her blood pressure is hers can go really high without any symptom at all. No dizziness, no headache, no nothing! Yet, she didn't seem to worry about it. It was almost like she was joking. That was in 2004.


Her death makes me think and ponder whether or not I am fully prepared to embrace death. I really want to be a good muslim, but then most of the time, I'm busier making life here as comfortable as I can, and tend to forget my responsibilities as a Muslim. Often I wonder, whether my kids are taught enough about praying, fasting and aurat as well as other important elements in case I die. What about the sins we do towards others. What about repentance or taubat? Aine was only 34.. and my friends told me she went to school the days before like any other day.. and that made everyone really shocked.. you will be remembered Aine.. in my heart..




Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Semoga roh Arwah dicucuri rahmat...Al-Fatihah

    Nina,

    It really scares me whenever I think about death, which is often, yes, I think about it all the time...mmg rasa takut yg amat, because like you mentioned, busy making life here until at times I tend to forget my responsibilities as a Muslim too...
    Kita bukannya muda sgt lagi kan Nina? Anything can happen, and thinking about the kids yg still kecik2 lagi tuh, aisey, mmg tido malam tak nyenyak jadinya..

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. tak boleh bygkan.....takut! Dgn persediaan diri n anak2 yg ditinggalkan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails