Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Day that Lasts Forever


This was the longest baking day ever.. It was planned to be a 'one-day baking day' which was extended to days and nights. Perhaps I took a break too long from baking that everything was double the time and effort. [sigh].. or perhaps with a baby around, life just becomes so unpredictable.


My heart sank as the first batch of my 6 cakes sank. My ganache was not as glossy as usual.. some of the cake shrank and another batch was overbeaten which turned out to be the ordinary chocolate cake instead of moist chocolate cake. I feel really bad.. Not because of the cake but because of the reassurance that I gave to my friends as I share them the recipe of the cake. All this while, I've been telling my friends that it's just a simple recipe.. no-fail one.. but that't not exactly right.. Alhamdulillah.. everything was okay by the end of the third day.. my friends were really sporting to wait until I finished baking and rebaking.

However, every cloud has a silver lining.. out of the hard work baking, I finally managed to overcome my fear of driving. The strategy was to send the farthest one first. Since Azly had something else, I had to drive all the way to Bangi, Setapak Indah, Ampang and head home. A friend volunteered to help me out during the baking and went together to send the cakes. We even took a break eating one of the best Bakso I have ever tasted made by Sumatran lady in Ampang while feeding Muhammad. Bakso is served in big mugs with a tray of vinegar, chilli sauce and soy sauce to complement. The meat is just so tender and I just love it!I wanted to give up just before the last delivery for that trip ( the rest of the orders came from neighbours ), I sent my friend home and right before I parked my car in front of my house, a friend called asking for her order. Her son came back all the way from Mantin just to have the cake.. Flattering! I decided to do a little bit of catching up with her while I feed Muhammad again. By the time I reached home, I decided to let my friends know that I needed time. I really don't want to sell 'bantat' cakes.. of course you can cover with ganache but it's just not the same.

Alhamdulillah... Though it sounds like I'm having a bad day, the truth is I'm blessed. All this started since a badly want a preloved wrap sold by a friend.. I know, the more you want something, the harder the test will be.. but I'm just grateful to Allah for granting it to me.. As for my baking.. i think i'll just put it on hold until I'm really ready..

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails